You’re literate and eloquent enough to write your own copy, right? Why do you need to use a copywriter?
Many people are more than adequate amateur writers and there is certainly a persuasive argument that no-one else is capable of capturing the essence of your ideas, ethos or values quite as well as you, particularly in very specific or niche areas.
There are several compelling reasons to consider using skilled copywriters and content creators. Important considerations often overlooked when choosing to write your own copy include:
- SEO. A professional copywriter will ensure that the requisite keyword analysis work is undertaken before even typing a word of your web copy. When it comes to constructing the copy you need, you rest easy in the knowledge that Buzzwords has the nous to fully keyword-optimise our work without sacrificing natural flow or tone. And that’s without even going into things like meta tags and other SEO considerations. If hitting page 1 of Google is essential to the profitability of your business, serious consideration should be given to using a professional copywriter with a thorough working knowledge of SEO practices.
- Consistency in tone and brand message. Writing good copy isn’t just about good grammar and diction. Generating copy for business necessitates strategic writing: a skill learned and honed over many years. A good copy writer always writes with explicit purpose as well as clarity to attain the delicate balance between stimulating interest, informing the reader, and using just enough call-to-action to secure conversion without alienating the consumer.
- Your strength can be your weakness. If you’re truly passionate about your work, that’s wonderful. Confucius says “Choose a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life.” But customers often won’t care about the labour of love that’s gone into your product or service. As copywriters, we know that it is benefits that sell. Hiring an independent copywriter with a fresh perspective to construct powerful, engaging copy is a significant advantage.
- Time constraints. What is your time worth? Seriously, think about it. If you’re in business, it’s likely you’ve got enough on your plate without struggling to perfect your business literature. Perhaps you charge for your time by the hour. How much of your time will it take to craft copy to the standard required to achieve your goals? It’s typically a false economy to look at a copywriter’s hourly rates and then decide you can save money by doing the work in house. At Buzzwords, we’re experienced specialists who can usually expedite quality work promptly, saving you expenditure of your most precious commodity: time. Without doubt, this is the number 1 reason why a business might need a professional copywriter.
- Credibility. Ok, so you’re a decent writer. But does ‘decent’ cut the mustard when it comes to marketing your business? This is your livelihood, after all. It’s worth considering the findings of a report produced by Massey University academics in 2013 which claimed literacy rates in New Zealand have flat lined and even slightly dropped in certain areas over the last decade compared to steady growth in other developed countries. Literacy Aotearoa estimate that there are over a million New Zealanders who struggle with literacy beyond basic levels. Don’t let your ego damage your business. Be honest with yourself. If you’re a capable but unspectacular and unfocused writer, invest in a specialist, and the results will speak for themselves.
All of which is certainly not to say that you shouldn’t be prepared to give writing your own copy a whirl; merely that it’s essential to go into the process with your eyes wide open and a willingness for honest self-appraisal.
You may find you are more than capable of producing quality writing. There’s nothing quite like that feeling of satisfaction from a job well done, especially when you’ve flexed those creative muscles to produce a quality piece of work. If you have the chops that’s fantastic; perhaps a future career in copywriting beckons!
On the other hand, if you’re left frustrated by your best efforts it might pay dividends to invest in our professional content editing service and have your original work polished by one of our copy editors.
And if you simply decide that writing copy isn’t your forte, remember there’s no shame in failure. Your talents lie elsewhere and your self-awareness will hold you in good stead. Check out our range of writing packages to see how we can plug the gap and leave you to concentrate on what you do best!